HOW TO MAKE: Eggplant Parmesan
What is eggplant parmesan?
Originally from southern Italy, this dish has many versions around the world, including breaded veal and chicken substituted for the eggplant (aubergine).
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 3 eggplants (aubergine) peeled and sliced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 litre spaghetti sauce
- fresh mozzarella cheese 500 grams
- parmesan cheese 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius )
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan on medium high
- Dip eggplant slices into egg and then roll in breadcrumbs and place in your frying pan turning once when golden brown. It should take two lots to fry all your eggplant. Turn down if it gets too hot.
- In a 9X13 bake dish pour in 1/2 your tomato sauce and place your first batch of eggplant in a layer on top of it
- Then add 1/2 you mozzarella and parmesan cheese like you layer a lasagna
- Repeat with your second batch of eggplant and cheese
- Place in oven for 25 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is golden brown